Wall Plaque - Dorothy Shaw
Horizontal, rectangular brass plate with rounded corners, mounted on wood and secured by eight screws, commemorating Dorothy Shaw, née Heathcote (1616-57), wife of Rev John Shaw. She was the eldest of 8 children of George and Dorothy Heathcote of Cutthorpe Hall, Brampton, near Chesterfield (baptised 31 March 1616). John Shaw, in his memoir of her, states that they married in York on 10 December 1632; that she died on their 25th wedding anniversary, which was also the day her daughter Dorothy was married. They had six daughters.
Lettering engraved, unfilled, Roman Caps. It was formerly set in a floor slab near the pulpit.
Inscription and donor(s)
HERE SLEEPETH THE BODY OF MRS DOROTHY
SHAW (LATE THE DEARE WIFE OF M JOHN SHAW
PREACHER OF THE GOSPELL IN THIS CHURCH) WHO
WAS HERE INTERRED DECEMBER THE 12.1657.
WAITING FOR THE MORNING OF THE RESURRECTION
OF THE JUST.