Work: carved poppyheads on pews
George Peck was the son of a local Cabinet Maker and baptised at Holy Trinity church on 24 October 1810. He was a renowned musician, carver and theatrical impresario. After spending several years in Australia he returned to Hull and set up a carving business on Saville Street, employing around 40 men. He was asked to carry out the carving of the poppyheads on the new oak pews in the church (c 1847) and he also produced similar work at Burton Agnes church. He placed his own figure on a single seat pew showing himself as a violinist. He returned to Australia, after exhibiting at the Great Exhibition of 1851, where he died in 1863.