The grand hexagonal stone pulpit situated in the nave of Hull Minster was erected as part of the Victorian modifications by Henry Lockwood. It was installed in 1846.
It comprises a hexagonal drum of fine stone with a staircase curling clockwise around one of the columns so that the speaker rises to stand facing the congregation. Today there is a reading desk, light and full audio system connected to the pulpit, but prior to this speakers would use the height of the pulpit to project their voice naturally across the vast space. It was important that everyone could hear the vicar.
On the bottom side of the stairs there is carved writing curling around the pulpit. It reads
“This pulpit was erected in 1846, Thomas Mitchell and Charles Anthony Forrester, Churchwardens”.
Sermons and speeches, music, poetry and even Shakespearean verses have been recited from the pulpit for audiences and congregations to enjoy.
The height of the pulpit is 2.1m to the top of the desk. Unlike one of the other proposed designs, this pulpit did not have a canopy over the top - the vicar at the time of the restoration in 1846, John Healey Bromby, did not want one.
The National Society for Decorative and Fine Arts wrote this technical description of the pulpit.
Hexagonal drum of fine stone with semi hexagonal projection on each of the five facets resulting in fifteen panels, the whole thing being elaborately carved. Each of the facets are subdivided by square crocketted stiles which project below the bottom rail terminating in a square base with pendant boss. Each of the 15 panels is in the form of a niche with a sloping base and a rounded arch with quatrefoil tracery surmounted by a crocketted ogee arch springing from headed corbels adjacent to the stiles and muntins.
The muntins are crocketted with annulets central on the shaft and project below the pulpit bottom rail to half that of the stiles. Each muntin in terminates in a square base with pendant boss. Between the stiles and mullins and supporting the pulpit base are rounded arches with trefoil cusped tracery springing from the square bases.
The top rail is surmounted by a moulded cornice protected by a wooden cap. The pulpit is lined in oak. With a mounted wooden reading desk.
Hexagonal supporting stem within each panel divided by a plaster with stepped plinth and baluster sub-base supporting a buttressed respond with capital. Springing from the capitals are for arched ribs with bosses supporting the pulpit each panel is decorated with ogee arch and cinquefoil head.
The stairway has 14 treads rising clockwise through 180° and circling the south aisle column to enter the south side of the pulpit. The square section Newell posts with flat capped finials all decorated on three sides with ogee crocketted cinquefoil arched panels. A handrail is supported by a balustrade of 30 plain open ogee arches with cinquefoil heads. The other handrail is supported by a similar balustrade of 14 arches the outer side of the bottom rail bears the incised inscription in virtual type "This pulpit was erected in 1846, Thomas Mitchell and Charles Anthony Forrester, Churchwardens".
This large stone pulpit is situated against one of the columns in the Minster's south nave arcade. It was installed in 1846 following the modifications by Henry Lockwood.
The pulpit is reached by a set of stairs that curves around the column, and it is today fitted with a reading desk, a light and an audio system. In the past, however, speakers would have need to project their voice throughout the nave to the congregation.
On the bottom side of the stairs, a carved script read: “This pulpit was erected in 1846, Thomas Mitchell and Charles Anthony Forrester, Churchwardens”.