The Lectern is in the shape of a large brass eagle whose out-stretched wings support a fretted brass reading desk. The eagle's claws are shown grasping a brass sphere which is mounted on a heavy graduated octagonal brass column. The inscriptions are on the sphere and also at the base of this column. The reading desk is approached by five wooden steps flanked by a brass rail. At the foot of the steps a twisted brass column mounted by decorative bosses in a cup flower shape, supports the handrail. The bosses are repeated on the column at the top of the steps where there are also twisted brass brackets holding gas light fittings. Four decorative stair rods hold the carpet in place.
Inscription and donor(s)
This lectern was presented to the/church of the Holy Trinity / In Kingston Upon Hull / Messrs John Parker and George Parker / of the same town Copper merchants / to be used in devout service / and was placed therein in the day of which / the present vicar the Revd John Healey Bromby / completed the 50th year of his incumbency / November 28th 1847
Inscription at base of column at the back -
Sacred to the memory of / Mr John Parker / whose remains are interred in / the vault under the altar table of this church
On front of the plinth at the base
George Parker DR L.F.P. (sic)
Physical attributes & manufacture
Lectern was split into two pieces and placed on castors in 2019. The bras was restored in London by XXXXX. this involved cleaning and refurbishing the joints, providing new balancing wights inside the hollw structure.
Sketch of propsed lectern.